27 Jul 2017 CAMP GORDON – AUGUSTA LEVEE RAISED – FORT GORDON
1941: The Augusta levee was raised in height to 30 feet pursuant to the Flood Control Act of 1936.
6/30/1941: A resolution adopted by the combined governments of the City of Augusta and Richmond County obligated the governments to operate and maintain the levee.
1942: An army camp was constructed on Tobacco Road. In September 1942, the camp became known as Camp Gordon and, in October 1942, the “Rolling Fourth” division arrived. At the New Savannah end of Tobacco Road an airfield for the training of army pilots was constructed and given the name of an instructor, Donald C. Bush, who was killed in a training crash.
1950s: The automobile accompanied by an era of cheap energy brought immense change to the downtown. Mobility led to migration to the suburbs. Stores followed the automobile. Daniel Village and Southgate Plaza opened in the west and south suburbs.
1953: The increasing importance of the automobile was illustrated by the Gordon Highway controversy. State and federal authorities decided that a new highway, Gordon Highway, should cross Augusta between 4th and 5th Streets. That was the very oldest part of Augusta, part of Oglethorpe’s original forty lots. After much contention, a vote approving this new highway location was held in October 1955.
3/21/1956: Upon receiving permanent status, Camp Gordon was renamed Fort Gordon.